Planning on visiting your eye doctor? Better yet, wondering what questions you should ask? Well, this post has you covered. Below you’ll find top questions to ask your eye doctor during your next visit.
If you are planning a trip to your eye doctor any time soon, chances are you have a few questions you’d want to ask. But are you asking the right questions? Of course, there are no wrong questions when it comes to doctor-patient questions but there are certain top questions. These questions are the ones you ought to ask you’re your eye doctor in just about every visit. To help you get the most out of your next visit to your eye doctor, this post highlights these must ask questions.
Without any further ado, here are top questions sure to jumpstart discussions with your eye doctor:
- Are there any changes I should expect with my vision? If yes, what type of changes should I expect?
- Will my vision get worse? If so, will I completely lose my vision?
- Does wearing glasses regularly improve eye vision?
- Are there any surgical or medical treatments for my eye condition?
- Will I receive any surgical or medical treatment?
- Can I be able to prolong or protect my vision? If so, what should I do?
- Will exercising, dieting or any change in lifestyle help improve my condition?
- In the event my vision can’t be corrected, are you in a position to refer a specialist in low vision?
- Are there vision rehabilitation services for me? If yes, where can I get them?
In the event that you do get an appointment with a specialist in low vision, you’ll also need to have specialized top questions. What are they? Well, they include;
- Can I continue with my routine or activities in a normal way? If yes, how can I do that?
- Are there any resources that’ll help me in what I do?
- Is there a way I can get help doing my day to day activities like reading or cooking? In particular, what devices can help me do that? And if so, what is that ideal device?
- Where can I find group support to help with my loss of vision?
- Are there services or training that’ll help me live a normal life with my low vision condition?
Remember To Persevere With Your Questions
While asking the right questions is important, it is equally important to persevere with your questions. To best do this, there are a few things you need to do. What are they? Well, you need to;
- Ask your question again and again. Always remember to do this till you get an appropriate answer.
- Be open with your eye doctor. If there is something you didn’t understand do communicate it with your eye doctor. In other words, be open to ask follow up questions.
- Find out whether your eye doctor has written literature that’ll help with your vision. You should be able to take this literature with you so remember to ask this as well.
Keep in mind that all this will work in helping you better know about your vision. As such, you’ll be able to seek the right support and solutions for your eye condition.
Preparing For A Visit
In addition to arming yourself with these top questions to ask your eye doctor, it is equally important to prepare for your visit. You can go about doing this in a number of ways. That said you want to start by ensuring that you have with you a note. This is where you’ll be taking down notes as you converse with your eye doctor.
If you are unable to take notes, consider having with you a recorder. With advancement in technology, we now have phones with very good recording capabilities. It is good however to ask your eye doctor if he/she is okay with you recording your sessions. The purpose of taking notes or recording during your session is to help you better remember information shared. This is especially important if you ask these top questions to ask your eye doctor.
Another thing you can do when preparing for an eye doctor visit is having someone accompany you. This can be your family member, spouse or even friend. Why is having someone accompanying important? Well, they can help jog your memory. If you happen to forget something, you can count on them to remind you about it. They can also be an extra set of eyes for you something that’ll come in handy if you have dilated eyes after the visit.
In addition, they can help take notes during your visit with your eye doctor. This way, you’ll be able to properly concentrate on what your eye doctor is saying. Furthermore, you’ll be able to properly ask your pre-planned questions. Last but not least, they can be your emotional support. This is more-so important if your nervous or stressed about your eye condition or visit to your eye doctor.
How To Best Protect Your Eyes
It is equally important to know how you can protect your eyes. One way you can be able to know this is by conversing with your eye doctor. In particular, you want to ask him/her the right questions that’ll help you know how to better protect your eyes. That said do talk to your eye doctor on how best to protect your eyes from things like blue light. The same also goes for ultraviolet (UV) light. One way you can be able to do this is by wearing special sunglasses. To be exact, sun or eyeglasses that’ll reduce UV and blue light exposure. Your eye doctor will be able to prescribe for you ideal sunglasses.
Dieting can also help in protecting your eyes. However, it is important to speak with your eye doctor if you plan on changing your diet. The same also applies if you are thinking of changing your vitamins intake. While still on matters dieting and living the right way, avoid smoking at all cost. Chemicals present in tobacco are known to damage your eye’s blood vessels. This goes to increase the chances of you developing macular degeneration.
Always remember to have effective communication with your eye doctor. This will ensure you have a successful visit. If you are looking to book an appointment with an eye doctor, contact Salisbury Optometrist. You can do this by dialing 08 8285 7100 or 0433 510695. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.